Annual Christmas Party will be December 11. Bring a finger food. Drinks will be provided. If you want to participate in the gift exchange, bring a wrapped gift ($15-$20).

Reminder: There will not be a January meeting.

Web Document tab missing in file properties

TomTom
Site Admin

Web Document tab missing in file properties

Postby TomTom » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:27 pm

I recently noticed an annoying problem when I right-click any .url file, or and shortcut (.lnk) to a .url file, and select properties to see the target. The "Web Document" tab was missing. Previous versions of Windows had the target in a "Shortcut" tab, which Windows 10 still uses for other file, but no longer for .urls. I was resorting to opening the links in a text editor, where the actual target was easily seen and copied, but finally decided to tackle this.

I found at least 3 methods, which basically all do the same thing. I tried the easiest one first. I simply opened the default programs dialog, and switched .urls to open in Internet Explorer. Saved that setting, then immediately switched back to using the default Internet browser. In my case, that is Pale Moon, but the technique should work for any browser, and .urls should still show their full properties even if you later switch your default browser. This worked fine, was quick and easy, and did not even require a reboot or logoff.

Ramesh's Site, WinHelpOnline.com, had an explanation, and Registry settings for "OpenWith", including a .reg file download, to resolve the problem in any version of Windows, including Windows 10. This would have been my next attempt, if the previous tip had not fixed my proble. The only downside is that you need to Logoff and login back for the change to take effect.

Microsoft Technet offered another, different Registry tweak for "FeatureControl". Again, if needed, I would have tried this and rebooted the PC.

Unrelated, but I'll throw it in... While looking at Ramesh's Site, I saw a link to Customize tab is missing in Folder Properties. I thought it may be worth saving this information.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Windows 10”