Change Desktop Icon Size

TomTom
Site Admin

Change Desktop Icon Size

Postby TomTom » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:30 pm

After another Windows 10 update, I noticed my Desktop icons were now HUGE... and I don't like that! No problem, however. I'll simply change them back, by right-clicking on the Desktop and selecting View, then switching to either small (my usual choice), or medium. That is when I discovered that those options are no longer there! GRRRR

So I went in search of answers, and the first one (below) worked.

How to Change the Size of Desktop Icons and More in Windows 10

Note that most of the advice in this article also applies to earlier versions of Windows.

There are a few ways to change the size of desktop icons. The way I had always used is to right-click an empty area of the desktop and go to View, then switch between small, medium, or large icon size on the context menu. This was, however, no longer working! Note that after another reboot, it was again working, but before I rebooted, the next tip worked like a charm.

Another way to change the icon size is to hold down the Ctrl key and scroll up or down with your mouse scroll wheel to get the size you want. This is the one that worked for me, although I had to first connect an external mouse, as it is a laptop with no scroll-wheel.

The entire article had other tips on changing icon sizes in File Explorer windows, the Taskbar and more, so check it out here.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Windows 10”