The January club meeting (originally cancelled) will be held at Dot's house at 6pm, January 8. If you need directions, check the "Meeting Notes" forum.

Windows 10 after two years

TinyJWRinLC
Site Admin

Windows 10 after two years

Postby TinyJWRinLC » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:19 am

Windows 10 after two years: Microsoft's mixed report card | ZDNet

Ed Bott sure does give Microsoft a higher grade than I do.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin

TomTom
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 after two years

Postby TomTom » Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:20 pm

My grade: B (neither B+ or B-)

The Start Menu is considerably improved fro Windows 8 & 8.1, but for me, not as good as 7. Classic Shell with the Classic Start Menu, however gives you the best of both, and on the extremely rare occasions that I actually want to use the Windows 10 Start Menu, I can do so.

Cortana does seem to get better with each upgrade, and if it could be used for dictation, like Dragon Dictate, it would be outstanding. I'll admit, however, that I rarely use Cortana.

Upgrades are mostly painless, but each time, Microsoft does some annoying things, especially reset your file associations, sometimes your Firewall settings and more. Nothing catastrophic, but a Royal PITA, and for some less computer-savvy users this could be a problem.

"Apps" are almost never used by me, except for Weather, and a small assortment of others. Still,my impression is that they are gradually getting better. Some available in the MS "Store" are really terrible, so just like in Android and Apple, you need to do your research before installing any that you are unsure of. Maybe we can create a sub-forum for Windows Apps, where we can discuss some good ones and ones to avoid. This idea will require some member feedback before I waste my time setting it up, though.

Overall, I have been using Windows since way back (Windows 3.0), and DOS before that, so it is still my preferred and most comfortable fit. Windows does get better with each new release, but it seems it is two steps forward and one step back. Linux,on the other hand, continues to get better, easier, and more useful, and if you have never tried it, it is high time to do so. There are so many flavors (distros) that I cannot recommend any one as the best fit for anyone, but Ubuntu is possibly one of the best to get started.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Windows 10”