Annual Christmas Party will be December 11. Bring a finger food. Drinks will be provided. If you want to participate in the gift exchange, bring a wrapped gift ($15-$20).

Reminder: There will not be a January meeting.

Using the New File Explorer in Win 10 (and TABS!)

TomTom
Site Admin

Using the New File Explorer in Win 10 (and TABS!)

Postby TomTom » Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:08 pm

What You Need to Know About Using the New File Explorer in Windows 10

Unfortunately, the most requested feature of Windows Insiders (we Guinea Pigs that Beta tested Win 10) was a "tabbed" interface for the file explorer, similar to what most of us are using in our browsers. Microsoft, however, has continually ignored this request, despite their STATED policy of soliciting suggestions from it's users. So once again it's, "We know what's best for you!"

The upside however is it is easy to add this feature yourself with either of these free third-party addons, which are both supposed to work well with Win 10. There are reports from users that both will occasionally crash Explorer, but with no harm done... IE: no files lost or corrupted. Just restart Explorer and resume whatever you were doing.

QTTabBar extends Explorer by tabs and extra folder views. There is also an open-source version on Sourceforge, but it seems to not be as recently updated as the version on WikiDot. I have used this in the past on everything from XP to Win 8.1, and like it, and will be testing it soon on Win 10. See here for links to more info and reviews.

Clover 3 is another similar and excellent tool to add tabs to Explorer in Google Chrome style. Even the shortcut keys (such as Ctrl+T to open a new tab, and Ctrl+W to close a tab) are the same, plus you can "skin" it with Chrome skins if that appeals to you. I have used an older version 2 of this on everything from XP to Win 8.1 and like it also. If my QTTabBar testing is not acceptable, Clover will get installed next. See here for links to more info and reviews.

Note that there is a third, similar tool, TabExplorer, but most users find the restrictions on the free version a bit too much (3 tab limit), and the "registered" version is a bit too much ($20) for such a simple tool. Also, and maybe it was just on the day that I checked, but the main homepage, http://www.iwesoft.com/ seems to be dead, and I am not sure this has been updated since January 2014. I have not tried this one myself. See here for links to more info and reviews.

You can't go wrong with either of these programs. Clover generally looks a bit nicer, but QTTabBar may have a few or better features. Some people (mostly just as an experiment) have even installed both at the same time. Try them out yourself in Windows 10 or an older version of Windows, and you may find that they are indispensable.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

TomTom
Site Admin

Re: Using the New File Explorer in Win 10 (and TABS!)

Postby TomTom » Fri Aug 07, 2015 7:46 pm

Update: I am happy to report that I upgraded my full Windows 10 laptop to have tabbed file explorer with QTTabBar version 1027 (2015-8-4), and it is working great. Configuring it was not intuitive, but basically in Windows 8.x and 10, you can activate it from the drop-down menu of the 'Options' button in the Ribbon. See this page for more info and a screenshot.

I have also installed it in my Windows 8.1 desktop, which I may upgrade next week to Windows 10. QTTabBar is also working well there, but it is good to know that QTTabBar will still work in Windows 10.

I have not tried Clover in Windows 10. The latest version is 3.0.406 (2014-01-26) and it fully supports Windows 8.1, but it is also reported to work well in Windows 10, so if anyone does use Clover in Win10, please post your experience.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Windows 10”