Annual Christmas Party will be December 11. Bring a finger food. Drinks will be provided. If you want to participate in the gift exchange, bring a wrapped gift ($15-$20).

Reminder: There will not be a January meeting.

GravityLight

It seems we needed a catchall for the things that just didn't fit well into any of the other forums, especially anything not computer-related.
TomTom
Site Admin

GravityLight

Postby TomTom » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:27 pm

I had seen a few internet ads for this lately, but none with any real info, so... curiosity killed the cat.
The GravityLight is a fantastic concept, whereby a small LED lamp is illuminated for 20 minutes by lifting a weight and letting it gradually descend, powering a generator in the process. It was specifically designed for third-world scenarios with little to no reliable electrical service, but could be of benefit to those of us in storm-ridden areas that may experience power outages. Check it out.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

TinyJWRinLC
Site Admin

Re: GravityLight

Postby TinyJWRinLC » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:39 am

Interesting idea, but I don't think there will be too many buyers for $80.

For $15 you could buy two much brighter lanterns and a whole bunch of batteries.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin

TomTom
Site Admin

Re: GravityLight

Postby TomTom » Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:42 pm

The project is about bringing light to areas with little to no electricity... and little money for batteries, if they can even find any. There is also a campaign to furnish these to the target market at no cost. I love the concept, but will not be buying one myself. For anyone that does, you would be contributing to the campaign, and not just buying an overpriced lamp.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Everything Else”