Reubens & Rachels recipes

It seems we needed a catchall for the things that just didn't fit well into any of the other forums, especially anything not computer-related.
TomTom
Site Admin

Reubens & Rachels recipes

Postby TomTom » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:28 pm

I would have sworn we had a cooking/food/recipes section, but that must have been on the previous incarnation of our web site. I can setup a forum for this if anyone is interested.

Anyway, since many of us like to gather and eat at our local Tony's Restaurant, and I had several inquiries about my last order (a Rachel), I thought I would post a bit about Reubens & Rachels, along with a couple of recipes. The basics are so simple, however, that you don't need a recipe.
BTW, I have also had excellent Reubens & Rachels at the local Jason's Deli.

The Reuben sandwich is an American hot sandwich usually composed of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian (or Thousand Island) dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread. Several variations exist.

The Rachel sandwich is a variation on the standard Reuben, substituting pastrami or turkey for the corned beef, coleslaw for the sauerkraut, sometimes French dressing for the Russian (or Thousand Island) dressing, and often sourdough bread for the rye. I had a delicious "Rachel" at Tony's that I think was on sourdough with sauerkraut, making it more of a Reuben/Rachel hybrid. Go wild and make your own variation.

A basic Rachel Sandwich
---------------------------------------
Ingredients:

- 5 ounces sliced roasted turkey breast
- 2 slices sourdough bread
- Unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Russian dressing
- 3 thin slices Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup Creamy Coleslaw

Directions:

- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium-high heat. Layer turkey slices on griddle and let cook for 1 minute.

- Butter one side of 1 slice of bread and spread opposite side with Russian dressing; place buttered-side down on griddle. Butter one side of remaining slice of bread and place buttered-side down on griddle; top with cheese. Turn turkey and top with coleslaw. Cook until turkey and bread are warmed through and cheese is melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Sandwich turkey and coleslaw between bread. Slice and serve immediately.

Crescent Reuben Roll Ups (thanks to Corinne for posting this one on FB)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Simple, easy, quick and delicious! These also make good appetizers. The best thing about crescent rolls is that you can stuff them with anything and everything, and it will still taste good!

Ingredients:

- 1 (8 oz) can of refrigerated crescent dinner rolls.
- 2 tbsps of Thousand Island dressing.
- 8 slices of thinly sliced corned beef.
- 8 slices of thinly sliced Swiss cheese.
- 1/2 cup of well drained sauerkraut.

Directions:

- On a floured work surface, unroll the crescent rolls and separate into triangles.

- In each triangle, spread 3/4 tsp of the dressing and top with a slice of corned beef, a slice of cheese and a tsp of sauerkraut. Roll up the dough and arrange on an ungreased cookie sheet.

- Preheated oven to 350 degrees F and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Everything Else”