More Free Web-design Apps

TomTom
Site Admin

More Free Web-design Apps

Postby TomTom » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:52 pm

One of the tools that we have demoed and discussed in the past was Namu6 (thanks, Tiny). It was a pretty good and easy way to not just design individual pages, but an entire site of interlinked pages. Unfortunately, the original homepage is long gone, but it can still be found in many other spots, such as Softpedia. While looking for any possible updates, and confirming the Softpedia link, I stumbled on an interesting collection of 44 free web-design apps on Atripalda. It is all text, with no screenshots, but does include download links for each program. The list contained some tools that I was familiar with, along with many that I was not. I decided to look up a few of them for more info.

Alleycode HTML is an intuitive, robust and fully functional HTML editor. Alleycode introduces innovative features for rapid deployment such as Synchro View. I found more info and screenshots at Softpedia.

Beerwin's PlainHtml is a powerful HTML source editor with PHP toolbuttons, many JavaScript and HTML snippets and complete HTML, PHP and CGI reference. I found more info and screenshots at Softpedia.

Blaze Composer 3.0 is a powerful, multiple award winning, freeware web designing program, with a WYSIWYG interface. I found more info and screenshots at Softpedia.

Cascade DTP is a new kind of web page composition utility that harnesses the powerful features of cascading style sheet (CSS) layout and formatting commands. Until recently, web designers were forced to use HTML tables as a means of controlling the position of page elements. But since the launch of IE5, Netscape 6 and later browsers, over 95% of web users can now view pages written using CSS. Unfortunately, most of the major web design applications still incorporate CSS tools as an add-on, which causes confusion and discourages a break with the compromises of the past. Cascade DTP is different. Nearly all its functions are based entirely on the CSS layout model. The result is far cleaner code and much enhanced control over positioning and typography. This typically means pages download quicker because it is no longer necessary to convert text to images in order to give headings and logos the desired look. I found more info and screenshots at Softonic. This one intrigues me and I will certainly be checking it out!

As stated in the first paragraph, there are 44 programs listed, so the 4 that I list are just the tip of the iceberg. Anyone with any interest in web design should find something useful, whether you are a complete beginner or more advanced.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Other Programs”