Some simple free BLOG software

Nifty Programs that do only one or two thngs.
TomTom
Site Admin

Some simple free BLOG software

Postby TomTom » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:51 pm

As Tiny explained last night, a BLOG is basically a collection of articles posted on a website, usually pertaining to a single broad topic, and often composed by one or a few authors. Our own website, http://www.SWLAPCUG.org is a blog, and his presentation (which I encourage everyone to download) contains many examples.

The question came up, however, on how do you compose a blog? The answer is quite simple. You can often compose in almost any text editing application, and often within the built-in controls of the website's own software, such as the phpBB software that runs our site.

So other than a full-blown setup like phpBB, are there any really easy to use, free blogging softwares? Sure, and a simple search like this will show many choices. Here are just a few of the ones I found. Note that you will almost always need your own website in which to publish your blog. Most Internet Service Providers, including AT&T and Suddenlink offer a free site to their customers, and there are many other available, both free and inexpensive.

Pen.io is different from most others. It does not require a login - instead, you define a URL for a post, such as http://yourpage.pen.io, and set a password. Images can be dragged into place, and publishing multiple pages is simple - just insert the ":page" tag. It really is that simple, and is a good option for quickly writing an occasional post, without registering a domain or paying for hosting, especially if you don't want any personal info stored.

Anchor is a super-simple lightweight, blog system that gives you full freedom over your words. You can write in Markdown or HTML, and creating and modifying a theme is as simple as knowing some very simple PHP and HTML/CSS. If you want to add custom CSS, JavaScript, or an image to a post, just drag the file over to Anchor. You can create and utilize theme hooks without the need for any programming knowledge. The system is extensible, so you can add or remove an infinite amount of custom fields to any post or page, with the ability to make every article unique by adding custom CSS, JavaScript, or HTML to your posts or pages. Anchor weighs just 150kb and takes only two minutes to install.

Wardrobe is another minimalistic blogging application. Wardrobe attempts to make blogging simple and enjoyable by utilizing the latest technologies and keeping the administration as simple as possible with the primary focus on writing. All content is stored as Markdown so it's portable, with the ability to drag and drop Markdown files into the admin area to create posts for quick publishing. You can write posts and schedule the time and date you want them to appear.

b2evolution is more of a CMS (content management system, aka a wbsite), but includes blogs, photos galleries, forums, email and much more, all in a simple and easy system.

Calepin reads Markdown-formatted, plain-text files stored in your Dropbox and converts them into blog posts for you. You can publish, edit, re-edit, and delete posts just by editing these files and then re-publishing your blog. Calepin does the work of converting these plain-text files into a useable blog, and even generates an Atom feed to allow people to subscribe to your blog in their favourite feed-reader, leaving your free to concentrate on writing. By combining a service you already have (Dropbox) with a syntax that’s easy to learn (Markdown), Calepin is the easiest way to self-publish online.

And finally, my favorite that I have used for years... Thingamablog is a cross-platform, standalone blogging application that makes authoring and publishing your weblogs almost effortless. Unlike most blogging solutions, Thingamablog does NOT require a third-party blogging host, a cgi/php enabled web host, or a MySQL database. In fact, all you need to setup, and manage, a blog with Thingamablog is FTP, SFTP, or network access to a web server. One of the features that I like is that you can write entries offline, and post them whenever you like, and can even publish remotely to your blog via email. Also, editing your posts offline can be combined with Dropbox to enable editing from any computer, either in your home network, or from any computer with Internet access. So you could start writing a post with your laptop in the backyard, then finish it from your desktop, make a few final edits from your son's house, and post it when you are satisfied.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

TinyJWRinLC
Site Admin

Re: Some simple free BLOG software

Postby TinyJWRinLC » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:51 am

In this modern world, you can even blog from your pocket computer. I haven't used any of these, but a search of the Google Play Store shows several options. I would assume there are probably several Apple equivalents.

Free Blogging Apps

Here is a wild idea! You can write a blog article, get it edited and published for FREE! Just e-mail it to the newseditor@swlapcug.org.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin

Return to “Utilites”