The January club meeting (originally cancelled) will be held at Dot's house at 6pm, January 8. If you need directions, check the "Meeting Notes" forum.

10 Popular Android Apps

TinyJWRinLC
Site Admin

10 Popular Android Apps

Postby TinyJWRinLC » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:16 am

Make Tech Easier has posted an interesting article.
10 Popular Android Apps You Should Uninstall Right Now

My personal take on each app:
1. Snapchat - I installed because the grandson like to do this. I uninstalled about two days later.
2. Amazon Shopping - I am in the minority. I've never had an Amazon Prime Account.
3. Netflix - another account I've never had.
4. Outlook - K9 mail works fine for me.
5. BBC News - Google keeps me informed.
6. Brightest Flashlight - I've always used the built in system flashlight.
7. Facebook and Messenger - one of the reasons I rooted phones in the past was so I could delete Facebook, NFL Football, etc.
8. ES File Explorer - this was my default app for years. When they changed to adware, I changed to Solid Explorer.
9. CLEANit - No matter what Ira and other experts say, I think all of these kind of utility apps are not needed on Android.
10. Dolphin Browser - was my default for many years until I discovered the Pyrope browser.
Not only do I not know what's going on, I wouldn't know what to do about it if I did.
George Carlin

TomTom
Site Admin

Re: 10 Popular Android Apps

Postby TomTom » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:45 pm

1. I never used Snapchat (& probably never will).
2. Amazon Shopping - I use this A LOT! Sure, you can do the same in the browser, but I like it.
3. Netflix -I have an account for mailing a DVD, and briefly used both the official and a few unofficial Netflix apps to view/manage my queue, but quickly realized I don't need an app for that.
4. Outlook - haven't used Outlook in years, and never on Android.
5. BBC News - never.
6. Brightest Flashlight - I did use this on some of my older devices that did not have a built in system flashlight. Built in or app - having a flashlight on your phone is awesome.
7. Facebook and Messenger - don't have/use Facebook (& probably never will).
8. ES File Explorer - this was my default app for years also. I now use X-plore, an awesome, free and lightweight file browser.
9. CLEANit - No matter what Ira and other experts say, I think all of these kind of utility apps are not needed on Android. I have tried many of these, and the only one that I still use is CCleaner, but it simply makes it easier to do what you can do without any apps - primarily clean you various system caches. Most of these apps are outright snake oil, designed to look pretty and act like they are doing fantastical magic behind the curtains. Kinda like my opinion of many products from iOBit.
10. Dolphin Browser - was my default for many years, but more recent devices have a decent browser built in - usually Chrome.
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- Tyrion Lannister

Return to “Software”